General Questions

Q. When should someone call 911?

A. 911 should only be used for emergency situations. The ECSO encourages citizens not to hesitate about calling 911, but if it is not an emergency please call our non-emergency phone line at 850-436-9620.

Q. Why do they ask so many questions when you call 911?

A. In most situations, the call taker or dispatcher is simply trying to obtain information that can then be relayed to the officer responding to your call. The more information that you provide the call taker, the better prepared the officer will be to assist you.

Q. How can I find out about getting a concealed weapon permit and Florida law concerning concealed weapons?

A. The Sheriff’s Office is not involved in the issuance of concealed weapons permits.  Complete information on this subject is available on the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services/Division of Licensing website.   (850) 245-5691.

Q. I need to get fingerprinted. Where? How much does it cost?

A. Fingerprinting is available at the Escambia Sheriff’s Office Administrative Building, Front desk, from 8:00am – 3:45pm, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).  The cost is $15.00 for the first card and $5.00 for each additional card (CASH ONLY). You should have a fingerprint card at the time of the fingerprinting.  The agency or company requesting the fingerprints should supply the card.  You must present a picture ID at the time of fingerprinting.  If you have any further questions you can call (850) 436-9630.

Criminal Records

Q. Who do I contact about background checks and other criminal records?

A. The Criminal Records Section, which is open from 8:00am until 5:00pm, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).

Criminal Records Phone Number: (850) 436-9501

Fax Number:  (850) 436-9784

Email address:  recordrequest@escambiaso.com

Q. How can I check someone’s background or get a background check on myself?

A. Local criminal background checks are available from the Criminal Records Section for a $3.00 fee (no personal checks accepted). Backgrounds are only available from 8:00am to 4:00pm.

Searches are made by name, sex, race and date of birth.  The search range is from 2000 to present, however, arrests prior to 2000 may be searched upon request.

Q. Do you do background checks on juveniles?

A. No.  Contact the Escambia Clerk of the Court/Juvenile Division at (850) 595-3780.

Q. Do your background checks include all arrests in Florida?

A. No.  Our background checks cover only arrests made in Escambia County, Florida.  State-wide background checks can be obtained through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.  FDLE can be reached at 850-410-8109 or by clicking here > www.fdle.state.fl.us

Q. I was not convicted of the crime I was arrested for. Why does my arrest still show in your system?

A. According to Florida’s Public Records Law, all arrests are public record.  The only way to have records pertaining to an arrest removed is to go through a legal process called “Order to Expunge” or “Order to Seal.”  Contact the Escambia Clerk of the Court for further information at (850) 595-4185 or 595-4150.

Q. I need the final disposition for my arrest.

A. The Escambia Clerk of the Court maintains the official disposition on all arrests.

Q. Are your offense reports or arrest reports available over the internet?

A. No

Q. How can I obtain a copy of an offense report or arrest report?

A. You can fax a request for information to the Criminal Records Section, contact us by email or come to the office.

Information needed to search for an offense report:

Offense Number

If you do not have the offense number, provide the victim or suspect information, date and location of the incident.

Please allow 3 – 5 business days for the report to become available

Q. Where are you located?

A. 1700 W. Leonard Street, Sheriff’s Office Administration Building / one block south of Fairfield Drive and the Escambia County Area Transit Building (ECAT).

Civil Matters

Q.  I need a restraining order against an individual.  How can I get one?

A.  Contact the Clerk of Court, Family Law, 850-595-4331 or go to their website.  You will be advised of their procedure for the issuance of a Domestic Violence Injunction.  After the Clerk of the Court issues the injunction, the Sheriff’s Office Civil Section is responsible for processing and service.  These injunctions are processed immediately upon receipt and served upon the respondent personally.

Q.  I have a tenant who hasn’t paid their rent and I want them out.  What can I do?

A.  Contact the Clerk of the Court, Landlord/Tenant Division, 850-595-4170 or go to their website.  You will be advised of the procedure you must follow before actually filing your case with them.  After the Clerk of the Court issues the Eviction Summons, it is forwarded to the Sheriff’s Office Civil Section and processed immediately upon receipt.  Personal service must be attempted at least twice within a six hour period of time.  If we are unable to make personal or substitute service within that time frame, we can post the document to the premises.  This document provides the defendant 5 working days, not counting the day of service, to move from the premises.  Weekends and court holidays are excluded from this time frame.

Q.  What happens if the tenant doesn’t move after being served with the Eviction Summons?

A.  You must contact the Clerk of the Court, Landlord/Tenant Division, to advise them of the status and request the Clerk of the Court to issue the Writ of Possession.  After the Clerk of the Court issues the Writ of Possession, it is forwarded to the Sheriff’s Office Civil Section and is processed and posted on the day of receipt.  Personal service is not required.

Q.  If the tenant doesn’t move after the Writ of Possession has been posted, when will he/she be removed from the premises?

A.  Florida Statute  83.62 (1) directs the Clerk of the Court to issue the Writ of Possession and commands the Sheriff to put the landlord/agent in possession of the premises after 24 hours’ notice being conspicuously posted on the premises.  However, time computation begins at midnight of the day of posting with the 24 hours ending at midnight on the following day, unless it is Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, and the actual eviction would be scheduled for the following day; i.e.  if posted on Monday, time would begin at midnight that day, end at midnight on Tuesday and the eviction would be scheduled for Wednesday.  When the document has been posted, the Civil Deputy will notify you of the date and time you must meet him/her at the premises to regain legal possession of your premises.

Q.  My ex-husband/wife took my child for visitation and has not returned the child  to me.  Can you help me get my child back?

A.  The Sheriff’s Civil Section can only assist you when we are given an enforceable court order specifically directing the Sheriff to take a child from one party and return it to a different party.

Q.  I live outside the State of Florida, have an order giving me custody of my child  and my ex-husband/wife took my child to Florida.  Can you help me get my child back?

A.  The Sheriff’s Civil Section will not accept an out-of-state custody order.  You must contact the Clerk of the Court, Family Law, 850-595-4130 to obtain requirements necessary in having your out-of-state order recognized and registered as a Florida decree through the Clerk of the Court/Judge, directing the Sheriff of this county/state to take the child from one party and give it to another.  You will have to be available for immediate contact at a location designated by the Civil Officer to take physical custody of the child.

Q.  My ex-husband owes me child support.  I know he is living/working within your county but I do not know the address.  Can you help me find him?

A.  No.  Pursuant to Florida Statute 30.231 (3), the party requesting service shall provide the Sheriff with sufficient copies and the best known address for the person being served.


Q. I got a card in the mail that stated I have a warrant, what should I do?

A. The individual indicated on the warrant is sent notification via US Postal that there is an outstanding warrant.  The individual is instructed to turn himself/herself in to CBD Warrants Unit/Rapid Intake so the outstanding warrant may be served.

Q. What if my warrant has a bond, how do I pay it?

A. It depends on the type of bond specified on the warrant but usually   the individual may have the option to pay in cash or use a bondsman.  After the warrant is served upon the individual, Rapid Intake/Booking will complete the necessary paperwork to accept the bond.

Q. What if I can afford my bond, can I pay in cash?

A. Yes.  Cash or money order are acceptable.

Q. I have a warrant in Escambia County, but I live in another state, what should I do?

A. If the individual resides within the approved extradition region set by ECSO the individual may turn himself/herself in to a law enforcement agency located in their area where they’ll await extradition to Pensacola, Florida.  Another option would be to commute to Pensacola, Florida and turn himself/herself to CBD Warrants Unit/Rapid Intake so that the warrant may be served.

Q. Can I turn myself in at the Escambia County Jail on a warrant from another county?

A. Yes.

Q. I have a warrant issued by the court, who can I call to talk to about it?

A. The Warrants Unit can assist in answering different types of inquiries.  However, if they have a specific question for the Clerk of Court they may contact County Criminal at 595-4185, Circuit Criminal 595-4150 or the Traffic Division at 595-4360.

Q. How do I file a complaint against an employee of the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office (ECSO)?

 A. Complaints can be mailed to the address listed below, faxed to 850-436-9996, or submitted electronically at www.escambiaso.com. A complaint form can also be downloaded at www.escambiaso.com. Complaints against any ECSO employee will also be accepted at all agency facilities, from any source, regardless of the location of the alleged occurrence.


Professional Standards/Internal Affairs

P.O. Box 18770

Pensacola, Florida 32523

850-436-9630-Main Office


Q. What happens to my compliant?


A. The complaint is documented on an Allegation of Employee Misconduct Form, which is forwarded to Internal Affairs. The complaint is reviewed and, when necessary, it is assigned to an investigator of supervisory rank to investigate. Statements may be taken from the complainant, all witnesses (citizens and employees), and/or the involved employee(s).

Q. How long does it take to complete the investigation?


A. Investigations can take anywhere from 30 days to 6 months to complete, with an average length of 45 days. This depends on the complexity of the case, the availability of witnesses, and the involvement of other agencies, such as the State Attorney’s Office.

Q. Will I be notified of the findings?


A. Yes. Both the complainant and the employee(s) are notified when the investigation has been completed.

Q. Will I be able to see the completed file?

A. Yes. Under Florida’s Public Records Law, once the case is conducted it becomes a public record and is available for inspection during normal business hours. The case files are kept by Internal Affairs.

Please Fill Out The PTC YT (Youtube) Widget Configuration First