Most thefts from motor vehicles are preventable. There are just a few things you need to do to prevent them. Once you realize the steps you need to take, do them all the time:
Lock Your Vehicle
Verify that your vehicle is securely locked before leaving the area. Make sure it’s locked!
Secure Your Valuables
If you can leave your valuables at home, do so. Otherwise, when you get to your destination, take your valuables with you. If you have to leave them in your vehicle… place them in your trunk prior to reaching your destination.
Close Windows & Sun Roof
Windows and sun roofs allow a thief a quick & quiet way to enter your vehicle. Even a crack in the window makes the thief’s job so much easier. Verify that your vehicle windows are rolled up and the sun roof is closed before leaving the vehicle.
If you view a crime in progress or any suspicious event, please call 911.
COMMONLY STOLEN ITEMS
You might be surprised just what thieves are looking for, or what victims make easily available to them:
- Portable Personal Entertainment Systems
- Prescription Drugs
- Global Positioning Satellite Systems
- Credit Cards
- Keys and Remotes
- Check Books
- Personal Digital Assistant (PDA)
- Lap-top Computers
- Cell Phones
- Compact Discs
- Pull-out Stereo Systems
- Address Books
- Gym Bags & Sports Equipment
- Garage Door Openers
- Mark all valuables with your initials
- Record your VIN number
- Use anti-theft devices
- If you have to give your car key out-give the valet key only-do not have a key ring with your name on it
- Have you license tag number handy
It is important to take care when you park your vehicle. Thieves are looking for vehicles they can enter with the least possibility of someone watching and thereby alerting authorities. Ideally, the best place to park is in your locked garage.
- Don’t park where others cannot see your vehicle, such as behind buildings, shrubbery, or larger vehicles/trucks.
- Don’t park in all-day unattended parking areas.
- Don’t trust your vehicle remote to lock your doors.
- Don’t park in a parking lot and then transfer valuable items to you trunk, where a thief might observe.
- Do park in in well lit areas.
- Do park where your vehicles is visible to others.
- Do verify that your vehicle windows are rolled up and locked before leaving the vehicle.
- Do join a Neighborhood and /or Business group.